“We found that BrisDoc provided a service that is safe, effective, caring, responsive to people’s needs, and that the service was well led.”
BrisDoc was launched in 2001 by a team of local GPs committed to improving the care of their patients when their surgeries were closed. In 2006 BrisDoc formed a Limited Company from the co-operative of GP Practices and continues to be owned by GPs and the workforce. In order to hold a share, individuals need to be working for one of BrisDoc’s services.
Over a decade later, BrisDoc now employs in excess of 300 local people to provide a variety of award winning healthcare to the people of North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Bristol, 24 hours a day. All our services have been rated as Good by CQC and our Homeless Healthcare Service as Outstanding.
BrisDoc has a Board of Directors and is GP led, with five clinical directors and three operational. The GP directors all continue to serve patients through BrisDoc and other local GP Practices. The workforce includes Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists, ECPs, Healthcare Assistants and many receptionist and administrative staff to support individual services in the local community and BrisDoc continually invests in the training and development of all staff to provide excellent patient care. BrisDoc works exclusively for the NHS and staff are viewed as part of the NHS Family.
BrisDoc is able to make a profit, with a small p, and needs to do so in order to be able to trade successfully. However, BrisDoc is not commercially driven (profit focussed) and the primary purpose is “patient care by people who care” and any surpluses achieved have been largely re-invested in developing services in the local community for the NHS. BrisDoc also proactively supports voluntary work in the community that is healthcare related and a proportion of any surplus achieved is invested through a Community Fund e.g. to support Above and Beyond and encourages staff to fundraise and volunteer.
BrisDoc is a member of Urgent Health UK which is a national organisation supporting similar services with a social enterprise ethos.
To find out more, please follow the links to our services below.
- A Integrated Urgent Care Service – for urgent care when your regular surgery is closed.
- Broadmead Medical Centre – our city centre, extended hours GP Practice.
- Charlotte Keel Medical Practice – Our practice is at the vibrant & colourful heart of Bristol’s inner city, serving a population from all corners of the world and from all walks of life.
- Outreach teams – going out into the community to treat vulnerable patients.
- Homeless Healthcare Service – delivering primary healthcare for the homeless population of Bristol and South Gloucestershire via our base at the Compass Centre and a number of outreach clinics across the city.
- Clinical Guardian – an award winning clinical governance system which has been adopted by many other organisations as a model of best practice.
These services enable BrisDoc to offer 24/7 health care with a focus on supporting patient care in the community wherever possible.
“Patient Care, by people who care”
Offering quality care where and when the patient needs it.
Patient focused – understanding our patients’ needs and ensuring we prioritise the “patients’ view” in all our everyday activities and actions.
Teamwork and individual responsibility – every person counts, supporting each other, sharing information, valuing and encouraging.
Commitment to do what we say and improve what we do; a commitment to excellence and quality when serving patients and colleagues.
Optimising the use of all resources across the local health economy. Taking care of our working environment and equipment.
“The practice is rated as outstanding for the care of people whose circumstances may make them vulnerable.”