This survey was undertaken by Audit South West for UHUK, the Out of Hours member organisation BrisDoc is part of, during May 2019. All employed staff were invited to participate in the survey, and for the first time Independent GPs working in SevernSide were included. 111 (compared to 87 in the 2017/18 survey) BrisDoc staff participated out of a total of 745 across all UHUK Members.
Many thanks to all those who completed the survey. The number of respondents gives us confidence in the robustness of our results.
Across 14 questions the survey sought the views of staff about BrisDoc’s culture with respect to patient safety. Our overall score was 79 compared to a UHUK score of 75, the higher the score the more positive staff felt. This was one point higher than our score last year. All our scores improved compared to 2017/18 except staff feeling BrisDoc is a good place to work, feeling their performance becomes impaired when their workload becomes excessive, and feeling like a bit of a failure when they make an error.
BrisDoc staff rated most highly our approach to keeping patients safe with respect to the following:
- managers will look into potential serious safety incidents if pointed out by staff
- medical errors are appropriately handled
- we are actively doing things to improve patient safety
- we have good procedures and systems for preventing errors from happening.
You also said that:
- a climate is provided by senior management that promotes patient safety
- when a serious error occurs, we analyse it thoroughly
- managers consider seriously suggestions you make for improving patient safety
- it is easy to ask questions when there is something you don’t understand
- managers are doing a good job.
It was good to see an improvement in our score from last year however our scores were in the 80’s in 2015/17 which suggests we can more still to improve our culture on patient safety.